Weekend Guide for Middleburg, Virginia: Sept. 8-10
— What a great weekend to be in Middleburg! We’ve got the opening of the National Sporting Library & Museum‘s “The Horse in Ancient Greek Art” on Saturday, plus NSLM’s Polo Classic at Great Meadow on Sunday. Also, be sure to stop by Tri-County Feeds, Fashions, Finds on Saturday for their 10th anniversary celebration! Here’s our roundup of the events you won’t want to miss this weekend:
“The Horse in Ancient Greek Art” features Greek vases, sculpture, and coins from the 8th through the 4th centuries BCE drawn from private collections, the Virginia Museum of Fine Arts, the Tampa Museum of Art, and other museum collections. The exhibition and accompanying publication explore the significance of the horse in ancient Greek culture, and imagery of the horse in ancient myth, war, sport and competition. From some of the earliest examples of the horse in Greek art, to stunning examples of black and red-figure vases, the objects on view illustrate ancient equestrian life. Enjoy free admission to the museum on opening day!
Ten years ago, the feed store moved to 7408 John Marshall Hwy. and endeavored to bring the community an amazing shopping experience.
This fall, they strive to take that shopping experience to the next level with a more convenient store design.
Visit Tri-County on Saturday, Sept. 9, to celebrate 10 years at their new location and to check out what’s new at the store. They’ll have door prizes, live music by Michele Glascock and Ross D’Urso, Hidden Julles “The Rambler” Food Truck, a wine tasting and more!
This classy and memorable event has got it all … world-class polo play, exquisite dining and libations, and plenty of festivities. The Polo Classic will be held on the Sheila C. Johnson polo field amidst the beautiful open space at Great Meadow in The Plains, Virginia. Nacho Figueras, John Gobin, Mark Cann, David Greenhill, Bill Ballhaus and Ashley Van Metre Busch will come back to play in support of the event. Two matches will be played, starting at 11 a.m. The Classic is a rain or shine event.
Also this weekend
- Friday Night Flights at 50 West Vineyards: Sept. 8 | 1-8 p.m.
- Concert on the Lawn with Jason Masi at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 8 | 5-7 p.m.
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Sept. 9 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Flexibility & Muscle Release for Riders at Salamander Resort & Spa: Sept. 9 | 9:30-11 a.m.
- Live Music by Movin’ On at Three Fox Vineyards: Sept. 9 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Extreme Grilling & Smoking at Salamander Resort & Spa: Sept. 9 | 2-4 p.m.
- Artemi Kitchen at 50 West Vineyards: Sept. 10
- Vineyasa at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 10 | 10-11:30 a.m.
- Yoga at Three Fox Vineyards: Sept. 10 | 10:45-11:45 a.m.
- Live Music by Jason Masi at 50 West Vineyards: Sept. 10 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Twilight Polo at Great Meadow: Sept. 9 | 5:30-11 p.m.
Hear legendary trainer and equestrian George Morris speak at NSLM! Morris will be reading from his personal collection of riding books, including his own annotations and anecdotes. This program is being offered in partnership with Beverly Equestrian. All proceeds go to support NSLM’s Library Fund.
$20 admission, $10 for NSLM members. Prior registration required.
Enjoy an evening filled with fun! Local musicians The Bottle Shop, treats by Ashbank Farm, drinks by Middleburg Lions and good company of course! See you on the front steps!
Celebrate the Patron Saint of Naples, a huge tradition in New York’s Little Italy. They’ll have “sausage & peppers” hoagies, as well as artists, crafts and jewelry. Pamela Anderson will be there with her Stella & Dot jewelry; Debbie Cadenas, a local artist, will be there; Jordan Sullivan, an independent consultant for LuLaRoe will be there; and Carly Prow, an independent consultant for Rodan & Fields skincare will be there as well! Father Mark Moretti of Precious Blood Catholic Church in Culpeper will be performing the Blessing of the Harvest at noon. Enjoy live music by The Exaggerations from 1:30-4:30 p.m.!
Sprout Therapeutic Riding and Education Center requests the pleasure of your company to support its life-changing mission at the 2017 Gallop Gala! This barn black-tie event begins with cocktails and a silent auction, followed by a seated dinner with delicious entrees and sides,
a live auction and dancing to a six-piece dance band!
Enjoy Slater Run’s first OysterFest of the year! Tickets are $50/person or $42.50/person for Case Club members. Tickets include all-you-can-eat oysters with four different toppings and four different wine pairings including Thibaut-Janisson Fizz, SRV 2016 Chardonnay, SRV Rosé and SRV Cabernet Franc. RSVP required by Sept. 14 via EventBrite or by contacting Slater Run at email@example.com or 540-592-3042.
Starting at 4 p.m., the Middleburg Concert Series, in cooperation with the Embassy of Mexico, presents “Una Noche en Mexico,” featuring famous Mexican vocalist Dolores Martinez Rengel and accordionist Jose Alfonso Valdez with MCS Artistic Director Alan Saucedo (cello) and Cynthia Saucedo (violin). A tamales and dulces reception sponsored by Briones Auto of Winchester and hosted by Mexican Embassy officials and the artists will follow. Major concert sponsor is Ann MacMahon. The concerts are also made possible by partial grants from the Town of Middleburg, the Virginia Commission for the Arts and the National Endowment for the Arts. Admission is free. For more information, contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-303-7127.
- Biz Buzz at Foxcroft School: Sept. 12 | 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Concert on the Lawn with Terbush & Hannah at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 15 | 5-7 p.m.
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Sept. 16 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Live Music at 50 West Vineyards: Sept. 16 & 17 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Ultimate Kids Meal (For Adults) Cooking Class at Salamander Resort & Spa: Sept. 16 | 2-4 p.m.
- Live Music by Terbush & Hannah at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 16 & 17
- Twilight Polo at Great Meadow: Sept. 16 | 5:30-11 p.m.
- Sermon from the Vines & PaintNite! at Three Fox Vineyards: Sept. 17