12 Things to Do in Middleburg this Weekend
— Check out our round-up of weekend events for Sept. 20-22, including Oktoberfest & Art in the Burg, the Lucy Stomp at Three Fox Vineyards.
Art in the Burg returns this fall bigger than ever, as it coincides with the Town of Middleburg’s first-ever Oktoberfest! Please plan to join us on Saturday, Sept. 21, in downtown Middleburg on S. Madison Street for a celebration of regional artists. This year’s event will include jewelry, pottery, textiles, photographs and one-of-a-kind original canvases showcasing the history and beauty of Virginia’s hunt country.
Art vendors will be on-site from 10 a.m.- 8 p.m.
Oktoberfest will run from noon-8 p.m., with a traditional German biergarten, live music, feats of strength, craft beverages and German-inspired food.
This event is free and open to all ages!
American Academy of Equine Art 39th Annual Open Juried Exhibition at the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America: Sept. 20-Oct. 26
Please join us Sept. 20 at the new MFHA headquarters in Middleburg, Virginia, for the opening of the 39th American Academy of Equine Art Annual Open Juried Exhibition. This show features original 2- and 3-dimensional work from the finest equine artists in North America. Get more details at aaea.net.
Let out your inner Lucy or Ricky! This is the original northern Virginia wine country “stomp like Lucy” event. This is fun, competitive grape stomping in cut-down barrels with two-person teams.
Three Fox will have several heats and then the championship round. There will also be a “Lucy-Ethel-Ricky-Fred” look-a-like costume contest after the championship round.
To energize you, Three Fox will have the Gentle Harvest Food Truck, a selection of sweets from Teapot & Cake and live music by the Exaggerations. Pam Anderson from Stella and Dot will have cool fashion jewelry, accessories and clothing for sale. Carly Prow from Rodan and Fields will be presenting a full line of high-quality cosmetic and skin care products. Register online at threefoxvineyards.com.
Curious about what happens behind the scenes during harvest? Well, now is your chance to experience first-hand with a vineyard tour, fruit and wine tasting! Get your tickets before they sell out! Get your tickets at boxwoodwinery.com.
Also this weekend
- “Water, Water Everywhere” at The Artists in Middleburg: Through Sept. 22
- “Turning the New Leaf: Cyanotypes in the Modern Age” at The Byrne Gallery: Through Sept. 29
- Happy Hour at Zest: Sept. 20 | 3-6 p.m.
- Middleburg Community Farmers Market: Sept. 21 | 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Baby Buzz Parenting Conference at The Hill School: Sept. 21 | 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m.
- Carriage Rides with Doc & Molly at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 22 | 2-5 p.m.
- Open House: Waiting Room Wisdom at A Place to Be: Sept. 22 | 2-5 p.m.
- Patio Tasting of French Wines at Girasole: Sept. 22 | 3-5 p.m.
Join speakers from the Loudoun Museum, The Middleburg Museum and the the Mosby Heritage Area Association for a fascinating look through Middleburg’s past — from freedom seekers and film stars to the Gray Ghost and the Great Hound Match.
History on Tap is a free program at Old Ox Brewery Middleburg presented by Loudoun County Public Library, open to adults 21 and older. For more information, visit https://tinyurl.com/y3tz6hhb.
Land Trust of Virginia’s 3rd Annual Tour de Conservation Easement Bicycle Event at Buchanan Hall: Sept. 28
On Saturday, Sept. 28, join us for the Land Trust of Virginia’s 3rd Annual “Tour de Conservation Easement” Bicycle Event, a fundraiser for the Land Trust of Virginia. LTV is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and 100% of the event’s proceeds benefit the Land Trust of Virginia’s mission to preserve our small country gravel back roads and scenic open spaces for all to enjoy.
Choose either the 20-mile or 62-mile (32/100 km) gravel road routes through the beautiful Virginia countryside, much of which is protected by conservation easements. The routes take cyclists through Loudoun and Fauquier counties, providing beautiful views of scenic back roads and rolling farms leading riders through several private properties. The 62-mile ride consists of 29 miles of gravel roads and 33 miles paved.
Register at bikereg.com.
George C. Marshall and the European Recovery Program at the Middleburg Library: Sept. 28 | Noon-1:30 p.m.
Join noted historian Rachel Thompson of the George C. Marshall International Center as she presents on this pivotal accomplishment in world history. Thompson will also have copies of her book, “Marshall: A Statesman Shaped in the Crucible of War,” available for purchase and signing.
This program is free and open to the public. For more, visit https://tinyurl.com/y4yos7do.
By popular demand, the red-hot Dixie Rhythm band is returning to Middleburg to serve up the best in toe-tapping Dixieland Jazz. Reserve your seat at 540-687-6297. $10 suggested donation.
Join Andrea di Properzio of Fattoria La Valentina for this five-course dinner with wine pairings. Andrea was born and raised in Pescara (Abruzzo). He is a graduate in business administration from University of Bologna and the University of Virginia Darden School of Business. A former management consultant and investment banker, Andrea has worked within the family’s business since 2002. Andrea, along with his brothers Sabatino and Roberto, co-own Fattoria La Valentina. Italian and international critics alike have awarded Fattoria La Valentina as one of the best cellars in Abruzzo.
Chef Patierno will feature seasonal mixed appetizers, skate lightly fried with saffron, local beef skewered and grilled with herbs, roast lamb chops with a salsa verde and roasted potatoes and a housemade dessert.
The cost of the dinner is $125 per person, exclusive of tax and gratuity. Featured wines will also be available for retail purchase. Case and mixed-case orders receive a 10% discount. Call 540-253-5501 to make your reservation.
- Family Storytime at the Middleburg Library: Sept. 23 | 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Maker Monday at the Middleburg Library: Sept. 23 |4-5 p.m.
- Crochet Club at the Middleburg Library: Sept. 23 |7-8 p.m.
- Yappy Hour at Salamander Resort & Spa: Sept. 24 | 5-7 p.m.
- Cooking with Artichokes Cooking Class at Girasole: Sept. 24 | 6:30 p.m.
- Tech Tuesday at the Middleburg Library: Sept. 24 |7-8 p.m.
- Musical Storytime at the Middleburg Library: Sept. 25 | 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Burgers & Brews at Gentle Harvest: Sept. 25 | Noon-7 p.m.
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Sept. 25 | 2-2:30 p.m.
- Happy Hour at Zest: Sept. 27 | 3-6 p.m.
- Charolais Day & Merlot Release at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 27 | 5-7 p.m.
- Middleburg Community Farmers Market: Sept. 28 | 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Autumn Olive Pork and Apples Cooking Class at Salamander Resort & Spa: Sept. 28 | 2-4 p.m.
- Free Community Day at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Sept. 29 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Live Music by Shane Gamble at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Sept. 29 | 2-4 p.m.
Check out our calendar for more information on these and other upcoming events!