Weekend Guide for Middleburg, Virginia: Oct. 6-9
— It’s Columbus Day Weekend in Middleburg! Whether you’ve got a three-day weekend or not, it’s a great time to visit Middleburg, as the fall colors are at their peak right now. While you’re out admiring the scenery, be sure to check out these upcoming events:
Since 1998, the Mosby Heritage Area Association has offered an annual three-day conference examining the Civil War in Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania through the lens of leadership as well as historic preservation. MHAA brings vetted experts with links to both the leaders of the Civil War and the battlefields and landscapes on which their actions played out.
Meeting at the classically handsome Middleburg Community Center, where President John F. Kennedy once attended church, conference attendees are provided with eight provocative talks on the annual topic beginning the Friday night of the conference and ending with a panel discussion of these historians on Saturday, followed by an evening banquet. Sunday, the final day of the conference, several of the historians will take us by luxury bus into the field to walk the ground and note the preservation efforts involved as we go.
Download the 2017 conference brochure here. The topic for this year is “The 1862 Maryland Campaign: South Mountain and Harpers Ferry.” For more information or reservations, call the Mosby Heritage Area Association at 540-687-6681.
Celebrate with Three Fox! Play bocce on their vine-side courts. Get a great discount on wine and merchandise purchases for wearing the Italian colors or showing a Knights of Columbus, Sons of Italy, or similar card!
On Saturday, Three Fox will have alpacas from Middleburg’s Flowing Fleece Farm visit for the day. You can pet the alpacas and enjoy your lunch! Plus, Movin’ On will be playing classic rock from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
On Sunday, you can race through the vineyard and rolling hills of Three Fox in their 5k “Race through Tuscany.” The race begins at 9 a.m. and complimentary tastings and discounts await you at the finish line. Sign up here. Also, Casey Cline will be playing from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Join us for the grand opening! There will be live music, a food truck, ballons and (of course) great cider!
A Place to Be presents “One Second of Grace,” a new musical composed by Tom Sweitzer and Kyle Boardman.
The story revolves around a high school assignment asking each student to take a picture of the most meaningful second of their lives. Through painful personal struggles and normal everyday confusion, each teenager searches for that second. They begin to realize no matter how tough getting through life can be, every second holds the possibility for beauty.
Tickets will be handed out at the door. Please arrive 15-30 minutes prior to the show to secure a spot. Trillium Farm has a seating capacity of 140 — therefore, seats are limited! Shows at 3 p.m. and 7 p.m.
For more information, visit aplacetobeva.org or call 540-687-6740.
Also this weekend
- Friday Night Flights at 50 West Vineyards: Oct. 6 | 1-8 p.m.
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Oct. 7 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Slater Run Vineyards Open to Public: Oct. 7 & 8 | Noon-6 p.m.
- Live Music at 50 West Vineyards: Oct. 7 & 8 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Pasta Perfection Cooking Class at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 7 | 2-4 p.m.
- Live Music at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Oct. 7 & 8| 2-5 p.m.
- Pumpkin Carving at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 7 | 3 p.m.
- Vineyasa Yoga & Wine at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Oct. 8 | 10-11:30 a.m.
- Yin Yoga & Yoga Nidra Workshop at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 8 | 10-11:30 a.m.
- Sunday Sketch at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 8 | 2-4 p.m.
- Admission Open House at Foxcroft School: Oct. 9 | 8:30 a.m.-noon
Celebrate thousands of years of equestrian attire with author and Master of Foxhounds Dr. Rita Mae Brown! Explore how riders from ancient Greece through modern day dressed for the field. $5 admission, free to NSLM members. RSVP to Anne Marie Barnes, the Clarice & Robert H. Smith educator, at email@example.com or 540-687-6542 ext. 25.
Conversations in History – A Fresh Look at the Frank Wanzer Escape at Mt. Zion Historic Park: Oct. 12 | 7-8:30 p.m.
On Christmas Eve 1855, Frank Wanzer and five other individuals escaped from a farm near Aldie, risking their lives for a chance at freedom. The story became incredibly popular after William Still recounted it in his 1872 book covering stories from the Underground Railroad.
So what happened in one of America’s most famous slave escapes, which began in the Mosby Heritage Area? Join NOVA Parks and the Mosby Heritage Area Association for the final installment of the 2017 “Conversations in History” series as they welcome historian Deborah Brower. Brower will explore this sensational episode in Northern Virginia’s history with new research and a fresh eye.
Cost for the program is $10 for adults and $5 for students. Tickets can be purchased at the door. Please dress for the weather.
Join us to celebrate the 63rd running of the Virginia Fall Races! The Theodora A. Randolph Hunter Field Championship Finals begin at 9 a.m. Race post time is 1 p.m. This event benefits the Inova Loudoun Healthcare Foundation and the Glenwood Park Trust.
Enjoy a night of fine food and wine at Ayrshire Farm, starting with a cocktail hour with passed hors d’oeuvres and a heritage breed butcher demonstration. Then, enjoy a 4-course plated dinner featuring Ayrshire Farm heritage breed meats prepared by Ayrshire Executive Chef Lawrence Kocurek paired with wine selections from Sarah Walsh of Country Vintner. $125 per person (includes tax & gratuity). Seating is limited, so reserve your spot today!
- Yappy Hour with Doga at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 10 | 5-7 p.m.
- Biz Buzz at Side Saddle Cafe: Oct. 10 | 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Hill School Golf Open at Bull Run Golf Club: Oct. 11
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 11 | 2-2:30 p.m.
- Harvest Festival at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 14
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Oct. 14 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Raid the Cellar at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 14 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Advanced Ashtanga Yoga Workshop at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 14 | Noon-1:45 p.m.
- Slater Run Vineyards Open to Public: Oct. 14 & 15 | Noon-6 p.m.
- 5th Annual Sprout 5K/1K: Oct. 15 | 8-11 a.m.
- PaintNite! at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 15 | 2 p.m.