23 Things to Do in Middleburg this Weekend
— Check out our round-up of weekend events for Oct. 4-6, including an artist reception at The Byrne Gallery, the Mosby Heritage Area Association‘s Civil War conference, coffee with the curator at the National Sporting Library & Museum, and more.
The Byrne Gallery is hosting a special reception for artist Gerald Hennesy on Saturday to celebrate the opening of its new “Blue Ridge Harmony” exhibit, which features Hennesy’s latest oil on canvas landscapes of verdant pastures, woodland views and the beauty of the Virginia countryside. This exciting one-man exhibition will showcase local scenes of both Loudoun and Fauquier counties and feature Goose Creek, the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, Sky Meadow and the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers. The exhibit runs through Nov. 10.
Head to The Artists in Middleburg this weekend to see their newest exhibit, featuring wildlife up close!
Mosby Heritage Area Association’s 22nd Annual Conference on the Art of Command in the Civil War at the Middleburg Community Center: Oct. 4-6
Join the Mosby Heritage Area Association for their 22nd annual conference on the Art of Command in the Civil War. This year’s conference covers Confederate General Jubal Early’s 1864 campaign into Maryland, including the battles of Monocacy, Fort Stevens and Cool Spring.
Tickets can be purchased online or by calling 540-687-6681.
Celebrate NSLM’s newest exhibition, “Leading the Field: Ellen Emmet Rand” with an informal coffee reception and tour of the exhibition with curator Claudia Pfeiffer. Coffee and light refreshments provided. Free for NSLM members, $5 for non-members.
RSVP at email@example.com or 540-687-6542 x4.
Join Ayrshire Farm for family-friendly fun on the farm! They will be showcasing heritage breed animals including turkeys, cattle, pigs, rabbits, chickens, and rare breed horses, and your family can enjoy tractor tours, carriage rides, country crafts, kids’ activities, and more!
Bring a non-perishable food donation and get entered to win a free heritage breed turkey for Thanksgiving!
The Gentle Harvest Food Truck will be onsite with a selection of organic burgers, hot dogs, sausages and more! Walsh Family Wine, Dirt Farm Brewing and Winchester Ciderworks will be providing beverages for the 21+ crowd.
The second annual 5k Trail Run and Family Fun Run at Camp Highroad, hosted by Middleburg Montessori School, features a beautiful 5k wooded trail course at Camp Highroad in rural Middleburg or a shorter one-mile course in their Family Fun Run.
The course and event are dog friendly and they will have face painting, games and crafts for children, so bring the whole family! All checkouts with 4+ registrations will be discounted by 15%.
There’s fun for adults, too: delicious coffee, a food truck serving complimentary waffle breakfast to all registered runners, and vouchers for free tastings at local Slater Run Vineyard to enjoy after the race.
Register at potomac.enmotive.com.
What gets in the way of self-care and what can you do about it?
Nourish your heart and soul with a morning of self-care with life coach and yoga teacher Elena Sonnino at Cana Vineyards & Winery.
We hear all about why we need self-care all the time. But for many people, time feels scarce and the idea of finding time to care for yourself is low on the priority list.
You know that you need a moment to yourself. You know that self-care is important. And yet, you may not always know how to make it a priority. So many of us spend our days juggling all the things, moving at light speed, and in survival mode. This experiential morning will feed your mind, heart, and body through yoga, breathwork, guided visualization, and conversations about how to integrate self-care into your day so that you can thrive in your life. And of course, you’ll be surrounded by beautiful scenery.
Grab a friend and join Cana for a morning of self-care in an incredible outdoor setting and learn how to create moments of daily nourishment and nurturing, despite your busy schedule. You’ll leave relaxed, inspired and with concrete practices that you can integrate in your daily life to feel more centered and grounded.
Get your tickets now at eventbrite.com.
Join A Place to Be at the premiere of their new Same Sky productions that will tour Loudoun County elementary and middle schools this fall and winter. You’ll enjoy their newly revised “Music & Emotion,” an interactive program for elementary students, and then join Amy Stone, their Youth Ambassador and the creator of the Same Sky project for her new show, “Reach Out.” Don’t miss these two great performances! Tickets: $10.
Join the Middleburg Museum for an exciting discussion on Mosby’s Rangers! You will visit the graves of the Rangers who fought and died in Middleburg, Virginia.
The daring actions of Mosby’s Rangers made them famous during the Civil War. Their dashing escapades continue to capture and excite the imagination of people today. Middleburg was situated in the center of “Mosby’s Confederacy” and has its own unique history associated with the Rangers. As part of his presentation, historian Eric Buckland will share some of those stories, and more, about the highly effective, and dangerous, group of men formally called the 43rd Battalion Virginia Cavalry, but who prided themselves on being known as “Mosby’s Rangers.” After his presentation, Eric will lead a walking tour through Sharon Cemetery to visit the graves of some noteworthy Rangers. This event is a fundraiser for the Middleburg Museum. Any further donations are welcome and will enhance the efforts to preserve the amazing history in our area.
Get your tickets via eventbrite.com.
Also this weekend
- American Academy of Equine Art’s 39th Annual Open Juried Exhibition at the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America: Through Oct. 26
- Happy Hour at Zest: Oct. 4 | 3-6 p.m.
- Middleburg Community Farmers Market: Oct. 5 | 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Live Music by Diablo Dimes and BBQ U Food Truck at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 5
- Live Music at Cana Vineyards & Winery: Oct. 5 & 6 | 1-5 p.m.
- “Spider-Man into the Spider-Verse” at the Middleburg Library: Oct. 5 | 2-5 p.m.
- Hot Wheels for Hospice at Phelps Funeral and Cremation Service: Oct. 6 | 10 a.m.-noon
- Sermon in the Vines at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 6 | 11 a.m.
- Live Music by Robbie Limon at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 6 | Noon-5 p.m.
- “PaintNite: Make a Mosaic” at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 6 | 2 p.m.
- Carriage Rides with Doc & Molly at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Oct. 6 | 2-5 p.m.
- Sunday Sketch with Barbara Sharp at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 6 | 2-4 p.m.
- Interfaith Blessing of the Animals at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 6 | 2-5 p.m.
- Fall Farm Market at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Oct. 6 | 2-5 p.m.
“Roundtable Discussion: African American Horsemen” at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 8 | 6-8 p.m.
Join the National Sporting Library & Museum for a roundtable discussion as scholars and museum professionals examine the content and context of the traveling exhibition “A Brief History of Black Horsemen in Racing,” on loan from James Madison’s Montpelier. Speakers include Pellom McDaniels III, curator of African American collections at the Rose Library at Emory; Leon Nichols, founder of Project to Preserve African American Turf History; and Elizabeth Chew, vice president of museum programs at James Madison’s Montpelier.
Free for NSLM members, $10 for non-members. Light drinks and refreshments provided. RSVP today at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-687-6542 x4.
Come on out to the community center front steps for a night of fun with live music by the Fountains, light bites by Serendipity Catering & Design, and beverages by the Middleburg Lions Club. Bring your friends and family for a community favorite! This event is free and open to the public.
Olympic Gold Medalist Will Simpson Show Jumping Clinic at Rutledge Farm: Oct. 12 | 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.
Olympic champion Will Simpson comes to Rutledge Farm in Middleburg Oct. 12 to teach a high-performance clinic.
Will is renowned as one of the kindest riders in modern show jumping. As he is based in California, an East Coast clinic opportunity is extremely exclusive.
Rutledge Farm offering this rare opportunity to train with a 2008 Olympic Gold Medalist for Team Jumping. Be sure to secure your space today before the clinic fills!
This clinic is part of the Rutledge Farm Sessions Olympic Medalist clinic series.
Click here to register.
- Family Storytime at the Middleburg Library: Oct. 7 | 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Maker Monday at the Middleburg Library: Oct. 7 |4-5 p.m.
- Adult Book Club: “Empty Mansions” at the Middleburg Library: Oct. 7 | 7-8 p.m.
- Library Lab at the Middleburg Library: Oct. 8 | 4-5 p.m.
- Yappy Hour at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 8 | 5-7 p.m.
- Musical Storytime at the Middleburg Library: Oct. 9 | 10:30-11:30 a.m.
- Burgers & Brews at Gentle Harvest: Oct. 9 | Noon-7 p.m.
- Oil Painting with Dell Keathley at The Birkby House: Oct. 9, 16, 23 & 30 | 1-4 p.m.
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 9 | 2-2:30 p.m.
- Happy Hour at Zest: Oct. 11 | 3-6 p.m.
- Middleburg Community Farmers Market: Oct. 12 | 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Live Music at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 12 & 13
- Live Music by David Davol at Cana Vineyards & Winery: Oct. 12 | 1-5 p.m.
- Live Music by Andrew O’Day at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Oct. 13 | 2-5 p.m.
Check out our calendar for more information on these and other upcoming events!