Weekend Guide for Middleburg, Virginia: Oct. 20-22
— It’s Middleburg Fim Festival weekend! There are so many great opportunities and events going on this weekend related to the festival, but that’s not all we have going on. Check out our weekly roundup of the events you won’t want to miss:
The festival, now in its fifth year, will run through Oct. 22 and feature “Lady Bird,” the impressive directorial debut of actress Greta Gerwig, as the Saturday evening centerpiece film, with Gerwig, who also penned the screenplay of this uproarious comedy, expected to attend.
Other featured films at this year’s festival include:
- Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri: Starring Frances McDormand, Woody Harrelson, Sam Rockwell, John Hawkes and Peter Dinklage, this darkly comedic drama tells the story of a bereaved mother who demands accountability from the local sheriff.
- Call Me By Your Name: Starring Timothée Chalamet and Armie Hammer, this sun-soaked romance is set in northern Italy.
- Mudbound: Set in the Jim Crow South and starring Carey Mulligan, Garrett Hedlund and Mary J. Blige, this film tells the epic story of two men divided by race yet bound by war.
- I, Tonya: This selection features Margot Robbie as the infamous skater Tonya Harding in the scandal that rocked the 1994 Winter Olympics and ended her skating career.
For showtimes, tickets and festival information, please visit middleburgfilm.org.
Join us Oct. 21 to honor those we’ve lost and raise awareness and funds for patients and families. Whether you’re a runner or walker, you can take part in this event!
The 5K is a gorgeous walk or run through lush Virginia country … mountain views, beautiful scenery and a variety of tree species at the VA State Arboretum. On the 10K course, you’ll run through the arboretum, on through a barn, by grazing horses and around an historic plantation estate!
Your efforts will help Blue Ridge Hospice, a not-for-profit healthcare organization, continue with the mission of never turning anyone away based on financial ability. Your walk or run will give others the gift of comfort, compassion and dignity in their last months, weeks and days.
Race day registration will close at 8:45 a.m. 10K Runners will begin the race at 9 a.m., 5K walkers/runners will begin at 9:10 a.m.
Legends by Lanternlight: Remembrances of Brentsville at Brentsville Courthouse Historic Centre: Oct. 21 | 7:30-9:30 p.m.
Hear the stories of Brentsville from the perspective of the people who lived and passed through here during the Civil War. The program will be led by the costumed interpreters of the Mosby Heritage Area Interpretive Group. The county seat for Prince William County during the Civil War, Brentsville saw soldiers passing through it throughout much of the Civil War. Confederates used the village as a point of mustering point at the beginning of the war before Union soldiers occupied the area from 1862-1865. The community even witnessed a few minor, but deadly battles. Come learn these stories and more as part of a lantern-lit tour of this historic village.
Walking is required. Please dress appropriately. This program is FREE.
For questions, please call 540-687-5188 or 703-365-7895.
Also this weekend
- Friday Night Flights at 50 West Vineyards: Oct. 20 | 1-8 p.m.
- Red Carpet Ready at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 20-22
- The Perfect Date at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 20-22
- Ride Off into the Sunset at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 20-22
- Livin’ la Dolce Vita at Three Fox Vineyards: Oct. 21
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Oct. 21 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Slater Run Vineyards Open to Public: Oct. 21 & 22 | Noon-6 p.m.
- Live Music at 50 West Vineyards: Oct. 21 & 22 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Pumpkin Carving at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 21 | 3 p.m.
- Vineyasa at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Oct. 22 | 10-11:30 a.m.
Join us at NSLM as George Mason University art history professor emerita Carol C. Mattusch compares modern riding, tack and philosophy with that of the ancient Greeks. $5 admission, free to NSLM members. Please RSVP to Anne Marie Barnes at firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-687-6542 ext. 25.
Discounts for everyone in costume and their Haunted Trail will be open again! Enjoy live music on Saturday by Movin’ On from 1:30-4:30 p.m.! Stay later, they’re open ’til 7 p.m. this Saturday! On Sunday, enjoy live music by Big Steve and Pete from 1:30-4:30 p.m.!
Enjoy an exclusive four-course dinner prepared by Executive Chef Ryan Arensdorf and paired perfectly with selections from local vineyards in Salamander’s intimate, private dining room at Harrimans. $150 per person. For reservations, please call 540-326-4070.
Join us in Greenhill’s barrel room for oysters from King Street Oyster Bar paired with Greenhill sparkling, plus an impressive cheese and charcuterie station paired with their Superstition and Ontology wines.
Get your photo taken by photobooth experts Get Snap’d. Cocktail attire and Venetian masks.
$75 for Wine Club / $100 Non-Club.
The legendary annual Virginia Gold Cup steeplechasing classic is now run before a sellout crowd of over 50,000 people. Race day activities include terrier races, shopping, hat contests, tailgate contests, and some of the best steeplechase racing you’ll find anywhere.
What’s better than raiding the Halloween candy aisle? 50 West has an idea! There’s a thrill to picking out your Halloween favorites but this year why not take it up a notch?!
Browse an array of delicious fall inspired truffles and chocolates from Middleburg’s Finest Chocolates in the comfort of the 50 West tasting room! Middleburg’s Finest Chocolates will be at 50 West on Saturday, Oct. 28, from noon-5 p.m. They’ll have their delicious assortment available for purchase and pairing with your favorite 50 West wines. 50 West’s staff will be there to make the wine recommendations!
Chocolates AND wine? There’s no trick here – only treats!
- Yappy Hour at Salamander Resort & Spa: Oct. 24 | 5-7 p.m.
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Oct. 25 | 2-2:30 p.m.