Things to Do in Middleburg This Weekend
— Check out our picks for May 10-12, including the “PSO Unplugged” concert at Buchanan Hall, the #HuntCountry launch party at Greenhill Winery, “The Living Poets Society” at Emmanuel Episcopal Church, and more. If you haven’t made plans for Mother’s Day yet, be sure to check out our blog post on happenings in the ‘Burg.
The Piedmont Symphony Orchestra’s rock ensemble will perform timeless hits from The Beatles, Janis Joplin, The Moody Blues, Jefferson Airplane and more.
Join in on May 11 to launch #HuntCountry, the hashtag of choice to kick off the summer! We invite you to celebrate with us and all of the wonderful people, businesses, and activities within #HuntCountry. Get ready for a fun evening featuring DJ Georgie, Tip Top Photo Booths, a cigar lounge by Middleburg Tobacco Co., and coverage by the area’s top influencers. Complimentary heavy hors d’ouevres and cash bar. This event is 21 and over only.
Poetry is alive and well for the final event in the 2018-2019 “At the Parish House” performance series at Emmanuel Church. Come be inspired by student poets from local schools reading their original works.
This event will feature local teenage students reading their works in an informal setting; not a competition, but an opportunity for all to enjoy their talent in a supportive atmosphere. Come and be part of the great audience that great poetry needs! The readings will be followed by a group discussion of the creative process and the future of poetry. Refreshments will be served.
“At the Parish House” events are for all ages and are family-friendly fare. Reservations are recommended but not required (540-687-6297).
Sunday has been redefined with Salamander’s weekly event on Gold Cup’s terrace! While enjoying sensational views of the Virginia countryside and the summer sun, feast on Gold Cup’s fresh al fresco menu, spoil yourself with their seasonal beverages and take in the sounds of an acoustic guitarist each week.
Also this weekend
- “Il Fiore, The Flowers of Italy: Nature, Imagery and Symbolism” at The Byrne Gallery: Through June 30
- “Deconstructed: The NSLM Sporting Screen” at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Through Sept. 15
- “NSLMology: the Science of Sporting Art” at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Through Sept. 15
- Happy Hour at Zest: May 10 | 3-6 p.m.
- Middleburg Community Farmers Market: May 11 | 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Kids Cupcake Decorating at Gentle Harvest: May 11| 11 a.m-2 p.m.
- Community Spring Recital at A Place to Be: May 11 | 2-3:30 p.m.
- Mother’s Day Brunch at Side Saddle Cafe: May 12 | 9-10:30 a.m.
- Mother’s Day Special at Boxwood Estate Winery: May 12 | 11 a.m.-6 p.m.
- Red Fox Mothers Day Brunch: May 12 | 11 a.m.-3 p.m.
- MOMosa Bar & Live Music for Mother’s Day at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: May 12 | Noon-6 p.m.
Join the National Sporting Library & Museum to celebrate the opening of “Canter & Crawl: The Glass Sculpture of Joan Danziger,” a solo show of the DC-based, contemporary artist’s latest body of work. Stimulating the imagination, Danziger’s vibrant wire and glass-shard sculptures are inspired by the spirit of the horse and the jewel-like nature of insects. Featuring a reception and exhibition viewing from 6-7 p.m. and a lecture by artist Joan Danziger at 7 p.m.
$10 admission, free to NSLM members. RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or 540-687-6542 x4.
Join us for an evening filled with free fun, live music, food and beverages, and good company!
Join us for Middleburg’s annual spring celebration of the arts! Local and regional artists offering their artwork for sale with live music from the The Glimpses.
This year’s annual “Garden Party to Save Virginia’s Countryside” will be graciously hosted by Mimi Abel Smith at the stunning Hickory Tree Farm. This event is LTV’s major fundraising event of the year and includes a silent auction full of unusual gifts not found anyplace else. It is the region’s annual party not to be missed! The Garden Party will again feature a “wet paint” auction, “Painting for Preservation,” where artists will create individual and unique artworks from selected locations in the Hickory Tree Farm landscape. Party guests will be able to bid on these works of art during the party to secure their opportunity to take a canvas home.
Please join LTV for an afternoon celebrating efforts to conserve Virginia’s open space, natural resources, and cultural heritage. Purchase your tickets at landtrustva.org.
Seasonal Flower Arranging with Wollam Gardens at Tri-County Feeds, Fashions, Finds: May 25 | 1-3 p.m.
Join Tri-County for a workshop on Saturday, May 25, where Wollam Gardens will teach you how to use the blooms of late spring to create your very own large flower arrangement. With peonies, bachelor buttons, delphinium, euphorbia, stock, and sweet peas blooming, they will have all kinds of beautiful, local flowers for you to enjoy and create with. A Wollam Gardens floral designer will be there to teach and guide you through your flower arranging, and they’ll provide all the materials you need to create your own design. Join Wollam Gardens for the workshop to learn more about flowers, explore the world of floral design, or simply to try something new.
Each participant must purchase a ticket. Advance registration is required. Space is limited, so buy your tickets online today! Tickets are $55 per person.
Enjoy competitive show jumping, craft beer and wine tasting, live entertainment on two stages, an antique auto exhibition, pony rides for the kids, and fantastic food from some of the best food trucks in the region! General admission currently just $5. Upgrades available for beer and wine tasting and a festival after-party.
- Family Storytime at Middleburg Library: May 13 | 11 a.m.-noon
- Maker Monday at Middleburg Library: May 13 | 4-5 p.m.
- Adult Book Club at Middleburg Library: May 13 | 7-8 p.m.
- Teacher Tuesdays at Hunter’s Head Tavern: May 14 | 11 a.m.-9:30 p.m.
- Musical Storytime at the Middleburg Library: May 15 | 11 a.m.-noon
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: May 15 | 2-2:30 p.m.
- Library Lab at Middleburg Library: May 15 | 4-5 p.m.
- Happy Hour at Zest: May 17 | 3-6 p.m.
- Middleburg Community Farmers Market: May 18 | 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m.
- Baby Goat Yoga at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: May 19 | 11 a.m. -noon
- Grand Opening Celebration at Northwest Federal Credit Union: May 22 | 1-3 p.m.