Middleburg’s Weekend Guide: July 7-9, 2017
— We’re looking forward to another great weekend in Middleburg, starting with a movie date night at Salamander Resort & Spa! Also on tap for the weekend: a recreation of the Palio di Siena at Three Fox Vineyards, a full moon yoga workshop, a class at Stitch that will help you get an early start on your holiday gifts, and a tour of Aldie with the Mosby Heritage Area Association. Read about these and other upcoming events in our latest guide:
The typical dinner and a movie date night just got updgraded. Bring your blankets and chairs and sit under the stars for a one-of-a-kind outdoor movie date night. With Salamander’s delicious picnic baskets and wine available for purchase, it is guaranteed to be a night to remember. On July 7, you will be enchanted by the looks and charm of Patrick Swayze as they screen the original “Dirty Dancing.” Many of the scenes in this movie were filmed just a few short hours from Salamander so to say that this is the perfect setting is an understatement. Chow down on some popcorn as you are surrounded by the very mountains that inspired this movie. Movie starts at 8:45 p.m.
Three Fox is recreating the Palio di Siena! Come learn about this time-honored Italian tradition! Be part of the race! Races will be held at 1:30, 2:30 and 3:30 p.m. Rolling Brick and Dough will have artisan wood-fired pizza for sale and Richard Giersch will be playing hits from the ’60s, ’70s and ’80s from 1:30-4:30 p.m.
Beat the heat this summer with this delicious class all about frozen treats. Using fresh fruits, berries and herbs from Salamander’s culinary garden, their pastry chefs will show you how to whip up these refreshing treats at home. $79 per person. For reservations, please call 540-326-4070.
On the schedule for the rest of July:
- July 15 – Pasta Perfection Class: Master the art of making homemade pasta in this hands-on class. You will leave saying ciao to store bought noodles.
- July 22 – Sushi Rolling Class: Learn the art of hand rolling and how to select the freshest fish from Salamander’s new sushi chef. Once you’ve mastered the basics, you’ll be prepared to make great sushi at home whenever the craving arrives.
- July 29 – Champagne Cocktails and Caviar Dreams: Create enchanting champagne cocktails paired perfectly with a selection of caviar for tasting. It will be the perfect activity for a stylish summer!
The full moon is a time to release what no longer serves us, inviting an expansion of our minds and bodies. Yoga helps to release tension stored in the subtle, energetic body, so that you can open yourself up to receive all the celestial gifts the full moon has to offer. Enjoy a special outdoor evening yoga class in the light of the full moon with poses that are big heart openers and lengthening backbends to help you create space.
Four consecutive Sundays of stitching this lovely Christmas piece from Mile High Princess. Learn new stitches and beading techniques and have it done in time for the holidays. Teaching sessions on the 9th and 23rd, and work sessions on the 16th and 30th.
This program will explore the history of the Aldie area. It begins at Institute Farm, once home to the Loudoun Agricultural and Chemical Institute. This school was the first of its kind in Virginia and was at the cutting edge of the agricultural revolution of the 19th century. After the closure of the school, the farm became home to the National Beagle Club and remains at the epicenter of American beagling to this day.
The program continues a short distance away at the Furr Farm, along the historic Snickersville Turnpike. Home to one of Mosby’s Rangers, the farm saw extensive action during the Battle of Aldie in June 1863. A monument to the 1st Massachusetts Cavalry stands as a testament to the blood shed on this ground. Today, the farm complex has been lovingly restored to its 19th century appearance.
Historians at each site will cover a variety of topics relating to the Civil War, agricultural history, historic preservation and more!
Refreshments are included. Tickets can be purchased online or by calling 540-687-6681. $30 for members of the Mosby Heritage Area Association and $40 for non-members.
Also this weekend
- Friday Night Flights at 50 West Vineyards: 1-8 p.m.
- Concert on the Lawn with Jason Masi at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: July 7 | 6-8 p.m.
- Middleburg Farmers Market: July 8 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Grilled Reaper at Boxwood Estate Winery: July 8
- Soft Shell Sunday at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 9
- Vineyasa at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: July 9 | 10-11:30 a.m.
- Live Music by Jason Masi at 50 West Vineyards: July 9 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Sounds of Salamander at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 9 | 4-7 p.m.
The National Sporting Library and Museum (NSLM) and the Artists in Middleburg (AiM) partner for a weeklong workshop with expert equine sculptor and instructor Goksin Carey! The workshop is open to all levels of experience from beginner to professional. No previous experience in sculpture is necessary. Students of all levels will work with individual and group instruction to sculpt their own horse bust and full horse. Carey has led successful equine sculpture workshops in Middleburg since 2014. However, this will be the first time the class is invited to sculpt at the NSLM!
Attendees will learn about:
- Equine anatomy
- Positive and negative parts of a sculpture
- Sculpting inside out using bone and muscle structure.
- The ABC’s of equine sculpting: A- Anatomy, B- Biomechanics, C- Conformation
The workshop fee is $460, with a $200 nonrefundable deposit required at time of registration. The balance of $260 can be paid at the first day of the class. A further $140 for materials is due on the first day of class. Provided materials include plastalina clay, horse bust armature, full horse armature, and sculpting tools. Space is limited, registrations are accepted on a first come, first serve basis.
Register online at theartistsinmiddleburg.org
Checks can be mailed to AiM, PO Box 426, Middleburg, VA 20118.
Please direct questions to AiM: 540-687-6600
Also next week
- Yappy Hour at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 11 | 5-7 p.m.
- Biz Buzz at Goodstone Inn & Restaurant: July 11 | 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: July 12 | 2-2:30 p.m.
- Summer Colors & Application Tips from Make Up Factory at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 14 | 11 a.m.-2 p.m.
Mark your calendar
- King St. Oyster Bar + Live Music by Dave Goodrich at Boxwood Estate Winery: July 15
- PaellaDeliciosa at 50 West Vineyards: July 15
- Maintaining an Optimum Weight for Riders at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 15 | 9:30-11 a.m.
- Live Music at 50 West Vineyards: July 15 & 16 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Live Music at Three Fox Vineyards: July 15, 22 & 29 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Yoga at Three Fox Vineyards: July 16 | 10:45-11:45 a.m.
- Sermons from the Vines at Three Fox Vineyards: July 16 | 11 a.m.
- Art Comes Alive! Summer camp at the National Sporting Library & Museum: July 17-21 | 9 a.m.-Noon
- State & Manor Trunk Show at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 21 | 11 a.m.-5 p.m.
- Dinner and Late Swim at the Middleburg Community Center: July 21 | 6-8:30 p.m.
- Music & Nature Yoga at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 22 | 10-11:15 a.m.
- Twilight Tastings at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 22 | 6-10 p.m.
- Vineyasa at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: July 23 | 10-11:30 a.m.
- American Roots Revue Concert at Buchanan Hall: July 23 | 5-7 p.m.
- National Scotch Day Dinner with Glenmorangie at Salamander Resort & Spa: July 27 | 7-10 p.m.
- Open Late at the National Sporting Library & Museum: July 28 | 6-8 p.m.
- RdV Vineyards Dinner with Salamander Resort & Spa: July 28 | 6:30-10 p.m.
Be sure to check our calendar to stay up-to-date on these and other events!