Middleburg’s Weekend Guide: Aug. 11-13, 2017
— If you’re looking for something to do this weekend, it’s a great time to head to the National Sporting Library & Museum. You can enjoy an informal coffee reception and tour of the museum’s latest exhibit, “At Rest and In Motion: The Horse and the Camera, 1870 to 1960” on Saturday morning, and then browse the Andre Pater exhibit one last time before the exhibition closes on Sunday.
This is also a great weekend to head to the wineries: 50 West is hosting a special family day on Saturday focused on their efforts to conserve and restore habitat for Monarch butterflies, Eastern bluebirds and other native wildlife, while Boxwood Winery is hosting a benefit brunch on Sunday for We Will Survive Cancer! Find out more about these and other events in our latest weekend guide:
“Andre Pater: In a Sporting Light” at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Aug. 11-13 | 10 a.m.-5 p.m.
This is the final weekend to catch the Andre Pater exhibit! Works from collections across the country are represented in the museum’s retrospective exhibition, “Andre Pater: In a Sporting Light.” The bold and vibrant compositions of contemporary sporting artist Andre Pater (Polish-American, b. 1953) are often compared to those of the great 20th-century British sporting artist Sir Alfred Munnings.
Enjoy an informal coffee reception followed by a tour of NSLM’s newest exhibition, “At Rest and In Motion: The Horse and the Camera, 1870 to 1960,” From the Judith and Jo Tartt, Jr. Photography Collection. $5 admission, free to NSLM members. Please RSVP to Anne Marie Barnes, the Clarice & Robert H. Smith educator, at firstname.lastname@example.org, 540-687-6542 ext. 25.
They’re going WILD at 50 West Vineyards! Bring the family out to one of Loudoun’s prettiest places and learn how they are working to conserve and restore wildlife habitat for Monarch butterflies, Eastern bluebirds and other native wildlife. Enjoy live music, food truck cuisine, 50 West’s award-winning Virginia wine, and a variety of fun wildlife activities for you and the kids sponsored by the Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy.
Loudoun Wildlife Conservancy Events:
- 1-4 p.m.: Live Wild Animal Meet and Greet & Loudoun Wildlife Tracks ID Challenge
- 1:30-2 p.m. at the 50 West Monarch Waystation: Milkweed Safari and Monarch Butterfly Talk with 50 West’s Monarch Ambassador, 12-year-old Carter Steadman.
- 2:30-3 p.m.: Children’s Storytime. Meet special wildlife puppet guests!
- 3:30-4 p.m.: Bluebird Spotlight. You’ll take a brief walk along the grapevines and peek inside 3 of their 15 Eastern Bluebird nest-boxes to learn about native birds and bluebird monitoring. Baby birds on board!
Live Music: Shane Gamble from 1-4 p.m.
Featured Restaurant: Roots 657 from noon-5 p.m.
Join Executive Chef Ryan Arensdorf for this special cooking class to learn everything you need to know for creating delicious meals in the rotisserie. Weather permitting. $79 per person. For reservations, please call 540-326-4070.
Can’t make it this weekend? Here’s the schedule for the rest of August:
- Aug. 19 | Summer Sangria & Punch Class: Launch your taste buds into summer with tips and tricks to making your own sangria and adult-friendly punch this summer. Cheers!
- Aug. 26 | Mason Jar Desserts: Delicious meets adorable in our favorite new culinary trend: dessert in jars. You’ve seen it on Pinterest and our Gold Cup menu, but now see it on your dinner table as Salamander’s pastry team walks you through the steps of layering, how to safely bake in mason jars and much more.
Come dressed in all white to support We Will Survive Cancer! Let’s have brunch, enjoy great wine and make new friends! Grab your ticket today! $35 per person.
Also this weekend
- Friday Night Flights at 50 West Vineyards: Aug. 11 | 1-8 p.m.
- Concert on the Lawn with Garrett Hoffman at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Aug. 11 | 6-8 p.m.
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Aug. 12 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Music & Nature Yoga at Salamander Resort & Spa: Aug. 12 | 10-11:15 a.m.
- Dog Days of August at Three Fox Vineyards: Aug. 12
- Live Music at 50 West Vineyards: Aug. 12 & 13 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Twilight Polo at Great Meadow: Aug. 12 | 5:30-11 p.m.
- Live Music by Jessica Endara at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Aug. 13 | 3-6 p.m.
Join us to close out the Summer Saffer Series with MCC’s Dinner & Dive In Movie! Enjoy Chick-Fil-A Dinner at 6 p.m., dessert to follow from Carousel Ice Cream Truck, play on the 68-foot inflatable obstacle course, and finish the night off splashing in the pool while watching “Finding Dory!”
Middleburg is a unique town and a distinctive setting. It’s a town that’s appeal draws from its history, its people, its sense of community and its natural and architectural beauty. You may have noticed a piece of litter or stray weed on your walks through town. So have we. Being more than two centuries old, the burg needs a little extra help to stay as charming as ever. To keep residents and visitors alike smiling as they walk our streets, the Streetscape and Go Green committees are hosting “The Great Middleburg Clean Up and Scavenger Hunt” on Saturday, Aug. 19, beginning at 8 a.m. at the Middleburg Community Center.
Finishing back at the Community Center at 10 a.m., there will be prizes for the winning team of the scavenger hunt and for the team with the most amount of recyclable trash collected, followed by refreshments, food and fun. Bring your family, encourage your friends and get in some community service time for Middleburg.
Enjoy all-you-can-eat crabs at the winery! A portion of sales will benefit Upperville Outreach, whose primary mission is to provide holiday food baskets to families in our community who need help.
Tickets are $45 per person ($15 for kids 12 and under) and include the following menu items:
- Adults: all-you-can-eat crabs, corn on the cob, coleslaw, watermelon, brownies
- Kids: hot dogs, corn on the cob, coleslaw, watermelon, brownies
RSVP required to Adale Henderson at email@example.com or 540-592-3042.
Slater Run Vineyards wines will be available for glass and bottle sales as well.
The Mosby Heritage Area Association is bringing its Mosby Heritage Area Interpretive Group to Clarke County on Saturday, Aug. 19, for another of its popular Legends by Lanternlight programs. Historic Clermont Farm, an 18th century structure, will serve as the program’s backdrop.
Saturday evening’s program will focus on the Civil War in Clarke County, particularly stories relevant to Clermont’s experience in the years immediately before, during and after the war. Costumed interpreters of the Mosby Heritage Area Interpretive Group will share the horrors and triumphs of Clarke County’s Civil War, from Mosby’s Rangers to interactions between Union soldiers and Berryville’s citizens, and more.
Admission is $15 for adults and $8 for students. Please bring walking shoes and dress appropriately for the weather. The Clermont Foundation will host the event and will provide refreshments served from the 1777 kitchen.
Also next week
- Gallery Talk at the National Sporting Library & Museum: Aug. 16 | 2-2:30 p.m.
- Friday Night Flights at 50 West Vineyards: Aug. 18 | 1-8 p.m.
- Concert on the Lawn at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Aug. 18 | 6-8 p.m.
- Middleburg Farmers Market: Aug. 19 | 8 a.m.-noon
- Live Music by Movin’ On at Three Fox Vineyards: Aug. 19 | 1:30-4:30 p.m.
- Live Music featuring Tommy Rothman at Boxwood Estate Winery: Aug. 19 | 2-5 p.m.
- Live Music at Greenhill Winery & Vineyards: Aug. 19 | 3-6 p.m.
- Twilight Polo at Great Meadow: Aug. 19 | 5:30-11 p.m.
Mark your calendar
Slater Run is opening the winery on Aug. 21 so you can experience on the winery patio and lawn the once in a lifetime solar eclipse with wine and cheese. Protective glasses will be provided. No admission charge.
Support Sprout Therapeutic Riding and Education Center’s life-changing mission at the 2017 Gallop Gala! This barn black-tie event begins with cocktails and a silent auction, followed by a seated dinner with delicious entrees and sides, a live auction and dancing to a six-piece dance band! Tickets and tables can be purchased online.