Old Ox Brewery eyes spot in Middleburg
— It looks like you’ll soon have a new place to grab a beer in Middleburg. Old Ox Brewery is planning to purchase the Health Center building from the Town of Middleburg, turning the lower level into a brewpub and the outdoor courtyard into a beer garden.
“I think it’s going to be fantastic,” said Jamie Gaucher, Middleburg’s business and economic development director. “It’s going to fill a niche that we don’t have.”
The plan will be discussed at the next Middleburg Town Council meeting, scheduled for Aug. 23 at 6 p.m.
The brewery announcement came as part of the Middleburg Business and Professional Association’s monthly Biz Buzz networking event, held Aug. 14 at the newly renovated Market Salamander and co-hosted by BB&T. Also highlighted at the meeting were the success of the Fox 5 Zip Trip and the annual Sidewalk Sale, which drew lots of visitors to town earlier this month.
“From what I gathered from walking around town on Friday and Saturday last weekend talking to shop owners, the 12th annual Sidewalk Sale was a roaring success across the board,” said MBPA President Punkin Lee. “I think most people were very happy and it obviously generated some much-needed funds for this time of year, as well as bringing many new faces to town.”
Looking ahead, Middleburg has a host of events planned for the rest of summer and early fall sure to draw more visitors to town, including:
- “Open Late” at the National Sporting Library & Museum (Aug. 31): Join us for the final “Open Late” concert of the summer, featuring the Piedmont Symphony Orchestra. Concerts are FREE and open to the public, and you can take advantage of free museum admission at the same time!
- NSLM’s Polo Classic at Great Meadow (Sept. 9): Enjoy world-class polo play, top-notch dining and libations, and lots of spectator activities! As the sole fundraising event for the National Sporting Library & Museum each year, the Polo Classic supports everything they do, from exhibitions to educational programs to preservation of their collections and more.
- Middleburg’s Fall Cleanup (Sept. 15): It’s time to get together once again as a community and give our 230-year-old town a shine. Open to all, we will hit the streets from the Middleburg Community Center to the Exxon to clean up trash, pick up cigarette butts and have Middleburg ready for fall!
- Art in the Burg (Sept. 22): More than 20 local and regional artists will be offering their artwork for sale along Madison Street in the center of town. Plus, we’ll have live music by The Blue Mountain Songbird.
- 21st Annual Conference on the Art of Command in the Civil War (Oct. 5-7): This year’s Mosby Heritage Area Association conference at the Middleburg Community Center focuses on the Battle of Antietam, the bloodiest single-day battle in American history.
- Virginia Fall Races (Oct. 13): Experience the annual fall tradition in the lovely Middleburg hunt country at the Virginia Fall Races, where your only interruption to a relaxing day will be the cheer of 10,000 excited fans and the storming of thundering hooves!
- Middleburg Film Festival (Oct. 18-21): Join us for a carefully curated selection of narrative and documentary films screen in intimate theatre venues, followed by fascinating Q and A’s with world-renowned filmmakers, actors and other special guests.
- Hot Dog! It’s Halloween (Oct. 31): Come in your best costume for the annual MCC “Hot Dog, It’s Halloween!” Hot dog dinner will be provided, as well as goodie bags for the kiddos. Entry is free, bring your friends and get ready to have a spooktacular time!
Also, remember to mark your calendar for the next Biz Buzz, to be held Sept. 11 at Foxcroft School. We hope to see you then!